- This event has passed.
February 28, 2020 @ 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm UTC+0
One event on February 29, 2020 at 8:00 am
Vertfest is returning to Mt. Bachelor on Saturday, February 29th!
Vertfest presented by NewSun Energy with additional support from Black Diamond and Hydro Flask is fast becoming the largest national backcountry festival in America. Vertfest Mt. Bachelor is an event to celebrate winter and backcountry culture with a full Saturday comprised of races, clinics, demos, beer, s’mores and fiesta. It is a multi-stop mountain festival dedicated to raising the level of snow safety education and stoke for backcountry enthusiasts, and supporting the efforts of avalanche centers everywhere. We hope you will join us for this exciting event! All proceeds from the event go towards the efforts of Central Oregon Avalanche Center.
The Mt. Bachelor Vertfest race is challenging but is meant to be fun as well. Participants will include everything from the superhuman SkiMo racers (man those guys/gals are fast) to recreational backcountry enthusiasts out in costume. This is a celebration of the backcountry and winter tribe. Slog it out with some friends, don your most insane costume, work off those winter beers, just come CELEBRATE!
Friday, February 28
5:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. Pre-registration and racer packet pick up at Crow’s Feet Mountain Collective
Saturday, February 29
8:00 a.m. Vendor Village Opens and Racer Check-in. Free demos at the vendor village!
9:30 a.m. Racer meeting
10:00 a.m. Race start
10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. Morning Clinics
1:00 p.m. Last racers cleared from course
1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. Afternoon Clinics
1:30 p.m. Award Ceremony
3:00 p.m. Vendor Village Closes
Introduction to Backcountry Skiing and Splitboarding – Saturday AM (max 6 people)
- Presented by Oregon Ski Guides
- This clinic will teach you the basics of backcountry ski travel. We will embark on a short tour around the Cone and discuss the necessary equipment, training and techniques needed to travel safely in the backcountry.
- Participants must have AT or telemark set up w/ climbing skins or plan on demoing from Vendor Village
- For intermediate and above alpine skiers with little or no backcountry experience
Companion Rescue Clinic – Saturday PM (max 10 people at each)
- Presented by Oregon Ski Guides and Central Oregon Avalanche Center
- Performing a successful companion rescue requires skills, practice, and more practice. This clinic will provide tips and techniques associated with beacon use, shoveling and probing.
- Participants must have ski/splitboard touring gear w/ climbing skins along with shovel, probe, and transceiver.