Hello Bend! Imagine this picture-perfect scene: you and your family sliding gracefully on a sparkling ice rink holding hands and twirling under the lights on a cold winter night! Even if you’re not the next Michelle Kwan, ice skating in Bend is a quintessential winter activity that is sure to create magical childhood memories for your little ones! That’s why we wanted to share a list of where you can go to get your winter skate on, what to expect at each of the Central Oregon Ice Rinks and their current reservation policies!
The Pavilion in NW Bend is an epic space that houses the ability to host several sports year round. Ice skating here runs roughly November-April, depending on the weather. The architecture is grand and it boasts Central Oregon’s full NHL-sized rink! It even uses a state of the art ice system that makes sure the ice is always perfect for skating, and it has the side panels that keep skaters protected from the elements!
Reservations open seven days prior and can fill quickly.
Ice Skating Lessons run Nov-March most years. My daughter loved learning skating techniques and it has been a great way for us to stay active! The Pavilion also offers incredible Hockey programs available for ages 4-99! Another fun program at the Pavilion is Curling! Their scheduled program includes Lessons, Leagues, and Ice Time! These fun registered programs are held as scheduled, with limited capacity.
RESERVATIONS AND COVID:
- Drop-ins are available, however, reservations are always a good idea to ensure space. Reservations open at midnight 7 days prior to session.
- Masks required indoors for those 5 and over. At this time, masks are not required outdoors or on the ice if properly distanced from other households.
- Concessions will be open with limited service, but you are allowed to bring in a water bottle.
- Spectators are limited to the outdoor viewing are, so be sure to dress accordingly. Indoor spectator viewing areas are closed at this time. Two large fire pits help fend off the cold for those not skating!
- Pricing ranges from $7-9, depending on age (3 and under are free!) Skate rentals are an additional $3.
- Family Skate, Cheap Skate and Parent-Tot Skate is offered for a cost of $6 and includes skate rental!
The targeted opening date is November 19, 2021! This Ice Rink is beautiful, nestled into the trees, and has been a Bend winter tradition for ages as Central Oregon’s oldest rink! Seventh Mountain Ice Rink operations are subject to weather delays and closures because it is outdoors–but it truly adds to the charm! The outdoor ice skating sessions typically run Thanksgiving through Spring Break and varies each season depending on the weather. Skate aids are available to those new to the sport. The Seventh Mountain Resort Ice Rink offers the unique opportunity to reserve Private Ice sessions and a Birthday Party Room! Both are still currently available, but are subject to change so stay in touch on their website and facebook for up-to-date announcements.
RESERVATIONS AND COVID
- Public skating by reservation only. No drop-ins.
- RESERVE HERE In addition to pre-registering, please pre-sign your waiver before you arrive (required every visit to check in for contact tracing purposes).
- Arrive early? Please wait on the patio while they get your session ready!
- Pricing ranges from $5-15, depending on age, and includes your skate rentals.
- Have your own skates? Use discount code BYOS for $5 off your skate session.
The targeted opening date is Thanksgiving day 2021! While you can go Ice Skating in Bend at a number of locations, sometimes it is worth the drive to Sunriver for the Ice Skating at the Village at Sunriver Ice arena. It is also an incredible option for ice fun each winter and the winter scene in Sunriver is usually snowy, festive, and the kids LOVE it. WIth music, a viewing area, and a full range of rental sizes (even toddler sizes) The rink at Sunriver is a Central Oregon classic and typically runs late November through mid-April, depending on when spring arrives in Central Oregon!
RESERVATIONS AND COVID
- Public skating by reservation only up to 14 days out. No drop-ins.
- Registered programs held as scheduled.
- Every skater must have a waiver filled out to enter the ice.
Pricing: $15 Adults (Ages 13+), $11 Children (Ages 5-12 years), Free (Ages 4 and under) $3 off per person if you have your own skates!
**The Redmond Ice Skating Rink is closed until further notice due to COVID-19 restrictions.** We are currently waiting for an update on the 2021/22 season. We will update this section as soon as we have more information.
The City of Redmond and the Redmond Area Park and Recreation District partner to operate and maintain the portable ice skating rink and provide an economical and fun activity for families to enjoy during the winter season. Even though this season they are closed, stay tuned for next season. They plan lots of activities and offer skate scholarships for those who may not get the chance to skate otherwise! Visit the website as you’re making plans for next year’s skating season!
Know Before You Go
Whichever ice skating venue you decide on, the key to having fun on the ice is being prepared! Keeping the kids warm and dry ensures you maximize your skating session. I’ve learned early on to dress the kids in their snow pants, especially if they are new to ice skating and prone to falling down. Hats and gloves are a must when spending an hour+ on the ice in the winter. To give this mom some extra peace of mind, my kiddos traded in their beanies for helmets, which I highly recommend, especially for those new to the ice.
Brenda Menzel + Kimberly Hooper, Brokers
Hello Bend Home Team at
Cascade Sotheby’s International Realty